Supplies: Hat and Scarf Set with Polar Puff Trim
Purchased Fleece Hat or/create your own using a favorite pattern and fleece fabric
Fleece Fabric ( scarf ) – 1/4 yard
Assorted colors of Polar Puff Trim
How to: Hat and Scarf Set with Polar Puff Trim
Cut two 54” x 5” strips. Trim ends at 45 degrees.
With right sides together, stitch the scarf front and back together using a 1/2” seam and leaving a 4” opening along one side. Clip corners.
Turn right side out and press carefully. Hand stitch the opening closed
Stitch Polar Puff trim 3/4 “ in from outside edges of the scarf, overlapping the ends.
Stitch Polar Puff trim to the right side of the hat’s bottom edge, overlapping the ends.
Roll the bottom edge of the hat back onto itself , forming a cuff.
Hand stitch Polar Puff flowers to the hat’s cuff, placing them slightly to one side of the center front.
Creating Polar Puff Flowers
Wrap Polar Puff into a tight spiral until you have achieved the size desired. Cut Polar Puff and then using a needle and thread; stitch into the the back of the spiral to secure. Add a second color of Polar Puff continuing the spiral and stitching as you wrap.
Supplies for DIY Drawstring BackPack featuring Polar Puff Trim:
Fleece Fabric – 1/2 yard each of two colors
Cotton Fabric for Lining – 1/2 yard
Grommets – Three 5/8”
Drawstring Cording – 3 1/2 yards
Assorted colors of Polar Puff Trim
How to for DIY Drawstring BackPack featuring Polar Puff Trim:
Cut the following from Fleece & Lining Fabric:
Bag Front & Back
Two 15” by 17“ rectangles
Front Pocket #1
One 15” x 14” x 8”
Front Pocket #2
One 15” x 5” x12”
Lining Fabric Only:
Two 4” x 14” rectangles
- With right sides together, place the pocket lining on top of the corresponding fleece pocket. Stitch along the top seam line.
- Turn right side out and press carefully. Top stitch polar puff trim to the pocket fronts,using the project photo as a guide to placement.
- Layer Pocket 1 on top of the bag front, aligning it up with the sides and bottom edge of the bag front. Cover with Pocket #2 and pin.
- Top stitch a vertical line, starting at the point the pockets cross and stitching through all layers of the pockets and bag front. Following the manufacturer’s directions apply a grommet to the bag front.
- Layer the bag back on top of the bag front, right sides together. Stitch along the sides and bottom edges. Clip the corners. Turn right side out and press.
- Turn under the sides of the drawstring channel pieces 1” and top stitch. Fold each channel piece in half lengthwise right sides out and press.
- Pin each of the channel strips to the top edge of the bag back and front.
- With right sides together, stitch the bag lining pieces together along the sides and bottom edges leaving a 4” opening along the bottom edge. Clip the corners.
- Insert the bag inside of the bag lining. Pin then Stitch along the top edge.
- Pull the bag through the opening at the bottom of the lining. Top stitch the opening closed.
- Insert the lining down into the body of the bag. Top stitch 1/2” down from the top edge of each of the drawstring channels, as well as 1/2” below the bottom edge of the channels.
- Following the manufacturer’s directions; apply grommets to each corner of the bag.
- Cut the drawstring in half. Attach a large safety pin to one end of one of the drawstrings; thread it through the front and back channels, starting on the left side of the bag. Repeat with the second drawstring starting on the right hand side of the bag. Adjust the cords so that they are even. Thread through the bottom grommets from front to back. Double knot the two cords together. Tie an overhand knot at the end of each of the cords to prevent fraying, then trim close to the knot.